Friday, November 30, 2007

Writing

So your child has been assigned writing for homework. I have chunked it so that they are not faced with the daunting task of writing for more then a small period of time each day. Kids burn out of writing very easily. For some kids it really helps for them to dictate what they are thinking or to write notes about what they can write. For others drawing pictures is how the pre-write. Some kids just like to jump in and start writing. How they do it is totally up to them.

Typically in any writing assignment I am looking for these eight qualities.
Title
Idea
Organization
Voice
Word Choice
Sentence Fluency
Conventions
Next Step

In this piece because it is so structured I am looking for the following:
Organization
sentence fluency
word choice
conventions
neatness

I hope this helps.Please don't hesitate to contact me with questions. There is no math log, reading log, or poem this week.