Friday, October 19, 2007

Weekly Update

We are racing through October! Parent conferences are fast approaching and I have not received white slips back from all parents. Please turn them in by Monday.

If you are able to volunteer from 12:40 to 2:45 on Friday I really need your help! We still need three more volunteers for our Pumpkin Math Activity. This is an activity the entire second grade is participating in. Each class is broken into five groups of four. Each groups is headed up by one parent leader who takes them through a series of really exciting and fun math activities that have to do with the pumpkin. Please e-mail me immediately or call me at school if you can help.

Attached to the kids homework this week is a parent survey. Please take the survey and turn it in by Tuesday. This is the same survey I posted online but only seven parents took it. I am trying again this way to see if I get more takers. Please take it again! Thank you! We are still working on addition and subtraction facts. As I assess for report cards I am concerned with how many students are still having trouble subtracting. Please keep practicing this at home and using the Harcourt Website to assist with math practice.

We had a great week. We have started our science unit on the Human Body. We did a lab on digestion on Thursday and will finish up on Friday with a lab on stomach bile and the small intestine. Next week we will work on bones.

We worked on synonyms and capitalization in class this week. We also did a retelling activitiy as well as a compare and contrast activity using the story the Mitten by Jan Brett. Your child should be coming home with a paper mitten and animals that they made in class. Please have them retell the story for you using the animals.